Find out how the University of Leicester plan to save 25% in data storage costs
University of Leicester adopts Cloudian S3 compatible object storage for backup
Entrusted with protecting the data of nearly 30,000 users, the University of Leicester requires a robust backup infrastructure. However, with the backup system it had in place, the loss of a single media server would have resulted in a total lack of access to backup data or restores – potentially for weeks – while the IT team acquired and installed new hardware. Recognizing that the university needed a better solution, the team decided to deploy Cloudian’s HyperStore S3-compatible object storage system as the foundation of a revamped backup platform.
Why Cloudian object storage software?
A key objective was finding a solution that would allow the index data to be moved from the media servers to a robust, fault tolerant, shared storage environment. That same environment would also serve as the backup target. The team at the University of Leicester explored various object storage software but ultimately settled on Cloudian.
“With Cloudian, I liked that I could try it in a VM and install it myself on my laptop in 15 minutes. It gave us confidence that we could easily manage the Cloudian system.”
– Mark Penny, systems specialist, University of Leicester
Benefits of object storage
- Availability, with protection from media server loss or site failure
- Simplified backup process
- 50% space savings
- Average 25% saving in data storage costs
- Proven compatible with Commvault
- S3-compatible storage, with potential for multiple use cases
- Software-defined-storage solution, compatible with HPE Apollo servers.
Object Storage Introductory Offer
Are you looking for a secure storage back up for your institution? Or do you want to learn more about object storage? Download our special reader offer. You get:
- The full University of Leicester case study on how they saved 25% by switching to object storage
- A 40-page ebook: Object Storage Technical Guide for Multi-Cloud.
- A FREE 30-minute consultation with an expert to discuss your setup and help you work out the best solution
By registering to receive these goodies you are agreeing to be contacted by Cloudian for your free consultation, you can unsubscribe at any time by clicking the unsubscribe link on the bottom of the email.