Find out how the University of Leicester plan to save 25% in data storage costs
University of Leicester adopts Cloudian S3 compatible object storage for backup
Scroll down for reader offer!
Entrusted with protecting the data of nearly 30,000 users, the University of Leicester requires a robust backup infrastructure. However, with the backup system it had in place, the loss of a single media server would have resulted in a total lack of access to backup data or restores – potentially for weeks – while the IT team acquired and installed new hardware. Recognizing that the university needed a better solution, the team decided to deploy Cloudian’s HyperStore S3-compatible object storage system as the foundation of a revamped backup platform.
Why Cloudian object storage software?
A key objective was finding a solution that would allow the index data to be moved from the media servers to a robust, fault tolerant, shared storage environment. That same environment would also serve as the backup target. The team at the University of Leicester explored various object storage software but ultimately settled on Cloudian.
“With Cloudian, I liked that I could try it in a VM and install it myself on my laptop in 15 minutes. It gave us confidence that we could easily manage the Cloudian system.”
– Mark Penny, systems specialist, University of Leicester
Benefits of object storage
- Availability, with protection from media server loss or site failure
- Simplified backup process
- 50% space savings
- Average 25% saving in data storage costs
- Proven compatible with Commvault
- S3-compatible storage, with potential for multiple use cases
- Software-defined-storage solution, compatible with HPE Apollo servers.
Download Your Object Storage Technical Guide & Case Study!
Find out what you need to look for in a secure storage back up for your institution, & learn more about object storage today. You get:
- Object Storage Technical Guide for Multi-Cloud (40-page ebook)
- Full University of Leicester case study on how they saved 25% by switching to object storage
- Optional FREE 30-minute consultation with an expert for those of you that want to discuss your setup and help work out the best solution for your institution
By registering to receive these goodies you are agreeing to be contacted by Cloudian for your free consultation, you can unsubscribe at any time by clicking the unsubscribe link on the bottom of the email.