VIP judges announced for Big Bang competition 2020
The competition is part of the Big Bang Fair, and is open to students in year groups 7–13
The Big Bang competition 2020 has announced its VIP judges.
Taking place at the NEC, Birmingham from 11–14 March 2020, the competition is part of the Big Bang Fair, and will decide the GSK UK Young Scientist and Young Engineer of the Year for 2020.
You might also like: Scouts encourages young people to make world better through tech
The engineering judges for 2020 are:
- Ruth Amos, inventor and co-founder of YouTube channel Kids Invent Stuff
- Jason Bradbury, UK Technology expert
- Sophie Harker, IET Young Woman Engineer of the Year 2018
- John Officer, head of pharmaceutical engineering, pharmaceutical supply chain, GSK
- Vijay Shah, aerospace engineer
Winning Young Engineer for Britain in 2006 completely changed my views on engineering [and] helped to determine my career path – I know how important and life-changing these awards can be.
– Ruth Amos, inventor
The science judges are:
- Dallas Campbell, broadcaster and author
- Dr Anne-Marie Imafidon, co-founder of Stemettes
- Karen Mullen, vice president and country medical director, UK and Ireland, GSK
- Imogen Napper, marine scientist and National Geographic explorer
- Bobby Seagull, TV personality, author and teacher
Amos said: “Winning Young Engineer for Britain in 2006 completely changed my views on engineering [and] helped to determine my career path – I know how important and life-changing these awards can be.
“Winning gave me the confidence to start my own company and I’ve been able to have so many amazing opportunities since. And now [I] get to inspire the next generation of engineers by building crazy inventions.”
Students will present their projects to judges in a Dragon’s Den-style interview, in junior, intermediate and senior categories.
You might also like: IoC hosts inclusive CTRL Your Future tech event
The VIP panels will be part of the final round of judging, starting on Thursday 12 March 2020.
More information about the competition is available at https://competition.thebigbangfair.co.uk/