Whatuni has announced the release of a new mobile app aimed at prospective students researching university options. Whatuni for iPhone provides users with customisable undergraduate course and university research services and is available for iOS on iTunes.
In recent years, decreasing student satisfaction and problematic retention rates have been linked to increases in tuition fees and a lack of thorough research leading up to students’ UCAS applications. The new app aims to address the latter by enabling students to get into the habit of short bursts – or micro-moments – of university research, conducted with relative frequency.
Features on the app include:
- A virtual assistant, which matches students to universities and courses based on students’ personal preferences
- Unique assessment filters where students can view universities and courses according to their preferred learning and assessment methods – exam, coursework or practical
- The ability to contact prospective universities and request prospectuses directly through the app
- Personalised notifications to keep students on track with application deadlines
- Localised information on universities and nearby open days
Jonah Duffin, Chief Marketing Officer, Hotcourses Group, said: “With over half of students accessing Whatuni through their smart phones, the development of the Whatuni app is the natural step forward for us in our goal to continue to help students to make positive choices about higher education. By allowing and encouraging students to carry out detailed research across multiple devices students will be able to choose the right courses and institutions for them.”
Initial feedback of the app has been positive with user Emily Williams, testing the app prior to its official launch, saying:
“Love this app! Me and my friends have found it really useful during our free time in school to look for different universities and courses and comparing their different entry requirements, student satisfaction and course outlines etc. I have found the app really nice to use both practically and aesthetically and have recommended both your website and app to a lot of my classmates.”