A brand-new continuing professional development (CPD) series is launching online this year, striving to educate teachers across the UK on some of the most topical issues facing the sector today.
Discovery Education has created the professional training programme to inspire educators to innovate their teaching, while equipping them with the knowledge and expertise needed to tackle some of the biggest current issues in the classroom.
The series will include more than 20 virtual events between April and July, offering a broad range of sessions that can be joined live or viewed later on-demand.
“It’s never been more important for educators to feel supported, motivated and encouraged in their profession” – Andrew Hammond, Discovery Education
From building an inclusive culture to delivering an enriched curriculum and meeting new RSHE curriculum requirements, the programme provides training in both leadership and classroom teaching. It will offer thought leadership interviews, peer-to-peer learning and discussions on classroom practice, giving teachers the tools needed to navigate and deliver education throughout the summer term with confidence and ease.
The free virtual series includes:
- Learning for Now festival – a three-day twilight event
- Building an Inclusive Culture (13 May) – exploring how teachers can root out unconscious bias and ensure inclusion, equality and diversity are championed in schools, with special guest TV presenter Diane Louise Jordan.
- Enriching the Curriculum (20 May) – will show how schools can build a broad and balanced curriculum that delivers real cultural capital and qualities for life. Presented by experienced teacher and author Debra Kidd.
- Teacher as a Storyteller (27 May) – will equip and inspire teachers to create memorable learning experiences. Presented by author and experienced teacher Hywel Roberts.
- Day of Discovery: Impossible Field Trips – an afternoon of sessions sharing digital tools and strategies to create amazing lessons for literacy and beyond.
- Discovery Education NAHT Pathway – a series of sessions with leading teaching Union NAHT, designed to help teachers and school leaders flourish.
- Tuesday Tutorials – a series of after school 30-minute sessions looking at how to use digital media to inspire creativity, engagement and improve learning outcomes.
On the launch of the CPD programme, Andrew Hammond, senior director of learning and community at Discovery Education, commented: “It’s never been more important for educators to feel supported, motivated and encouraged in their profession. Our new learning events are designed to help teachers navigate today’s challenges and opportunities while enhancing their professional development, classroom practice and wellbeing. We’re looking forward to connecting with teachers everywhere and hope that as many as possible will join us online this term.”
Teachers can explore Discovery Education’s upcoming CPD series and register their attendance here.